1). Quite frankly, there was nothing that really stood out to me or helped me in any way. I did not agree with the reading, due to the fact that Prayer is an action, and not a feeling, we should not rely upon our feelings because they are constantly changing.
2). I am quite confused by what she is saying, but I am assuming that she means that we should reach for the truth of who God really is, and not who we think he is.
3). From the part that I slightly understood, it reminded me of Dr. Jerry Root when he said that we need to try to try to rid ourselves of our false ideas about God and who he is and reach for the truth.
4). I would like to see Biblical support of what she is saying. I find things easier to understand when there is biblical evidence used correctly (as in not taken out of context), and I find it much easier to believe.
Thank you, Celine. It is fine if you do not agree with Underhill on everything (or anything, I suppose), but it is a rare case that there is absolutely nothing we can learn from someone. I would encourage you to look for that even here. Underhill is difficult to understand, however, are there not some sections that are clear enough? And if so, is there something we could learn? Furthermore, I would simply challenge your thinking on one point: something can be compatible with the Bible even if there is not what we call a "prooftext" for something. All truth is God's truth, and if at least something Underhill has written is true (and I find it hard to believe there is nothing), then it is God's truth, too. Thank you, Celine.
ReplyDelete