"Whatever God is, and all that God is, He is in Himself."
"The word necessary is wholly foreign to God."
"Nothing is beyond him (God), nothing beyond him (God)."
All of these facts about God, we accept, but why? We know so little about God, there are so many unanswered questions, yet we still believe. Why?
I began asking myself this question when I was reading Tozer ch 6, and I had trouble answering. I know that God is self-sufficient, that God is above everything, that he needs nothing, and i accept these facts. Whenever asked, however, I always reply "Faith, we need to have faith." Which is a right answer, and I know that I cannot try to explain God because he is incomprehensible, but whenever I ask myself this question I honestly don't know how to answer
Thank you, Celine. These propositions regarding God - his Being and character - are arrived at from the divine self-revelation of God in the Scriptures. But this revelation is augmented other logical arguments for God and his Being as found in nature. Both are revelatory. We do need to have faith, as you said. Some would understand this, however, in the absence of knowledge or reason. We would call this fideism. It might be likened to a blind faith. However, faith is not blind. It is a response to the very action and word of God that is married to reason, too. As Tozer quotes Anselm of Canterbury, "Faith seeking understanding." It is not that we have NO understanding until we have faith, but rather that we have both, but our understanding will never be full unless we have faith that presses into the unknown of God, and through the encounter, we gain greater knowledge of Him. Thank you, Celine.
ReplyDelete