Thursday, September 17, 2015

Francis de Sales: One True Devotion

1). Francis used a lot of analogies, which are most powerful or meaningful to you?

 One of the analogies that I love the most is the analogy with the birds. How ostriches don't fly, and Hens can fly, but it is very clumsy, unlike the eagles who soar majestically. This analogy illustrates the different types of people and their devotional life. some do not have one, others have a devotional life, but it is not strong, awkward almost, while others are solid in their devotional life.


2). Francis writes Philothea, "True devotion does us no harm whatsoever, but instead perfects all things...[it] adorns and beautifies [them]" (p.30). Based on what Francis describes as "True devotion", and our discussions and studies of "perfection" thus far in this class, (A) what do you think he means by this, and (B) do you think this is actually possible? (C) How or How not? Describe, bring in an example to illustrate.

I think that Francis means exactly what he said, True devotion will do us no harm, it will help perfect us. Perfection is achievable, just not down on earth, our whole lives as Christians is a spiritual journey. the goal is to be with God, or perfection. And yes this journey is possible because why would God, who loves us trick us by saying, this is your goal, but it turns out to be a lie. God doesn't lie.

3). What are some of your favorite devotional practices? Which do you find the most difficult?

My favorite devotional practice is listening to music, not singing, just listening, and praying. Praying sometimes can be difficult because I can get easily distracted at times, and it can be hard to focus.

4).Given your level of Spiritual energy, your weekly activities and duties, what kind of devotional habits fit your needs?

I really do not have a ton of energy,so after talking for a long time, and being around people for a long time, I get tired. Not to mention, other activities after school, getting home late and homework, a break is much needed. Which may be another reason why I love listening to my Christian/Gospel music, because I can just relax, and still spend time with God. It is a double blessing.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Celine, for your thoughts. For 1, why does this image capture you besides that there are those who soar, and those who do not? How does this capture your imagination? Does it cause you to desire to soar?
    And I see what you are saying in #2...good thinking...good question. Why would God present something to us that we could not do? I think I hear you right. And there is truth to that. But consider, too, that God often asks us to go beyond our sinful human capacities: he created us with the capacity to grow and expand, but with HIS grace. "Grace perfects nature" as the theologians say. And as Augustine once said (Confessions): "Give what you command, and command what you will." And, "God will not call you where his grace will not keep you." He will always call us to new "lands of promise", and he will provide the manna for the journey.
    And thank you for sharing what you enjoy doing devotionally. Again, Augustine said, "When you sing, you pray TWICE" - or, in your words, "a DOUBLE blessing." :) We ALL get distracted in prayer. Truly. The greatest spiritual giants attest to this. So, you are not alone. And I trust that we will continue to press into prayer, despite the distractions. Thank you, Celine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the main reason why I love the birds analogy is the idea of soaring. Because when eagles soar they look so majestic, and we will also be majestic when we get to the level where we can soar with God. It us a beautiful image.
    As for #2 I do know that God will often give us challenges that we think we are not capable of handling. Even though God knows that we are. But as said in 1 Corinthians 10: 13, God will not let you be tempted more than you can bear. That is what I was going after. Yes, God will ask us to do more than our sinful beings think we can do, but if we legitimately cannot do a task and God knows that. Then he wouldn't have us do it. So I understand completely what you are saying but at the same time if a task were to great for us and he knew that (which he would) then he would refrain frim giving it to us. Or in some cases he would wait until we were strong enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celine. Again, very thoughtful. I think you are right. God doesn't let us be tempted more than we can bear, and I think there is an extension to this in the broader stream of life as you have highlighted. I think that God invites us to come up to our natural limits in order that he may bring us to the place where we call upon him - rely upon him. Using the language of strength and weakness, the Bible speaks of both. Paul will say, "I struggle with all his might that works in me" and "his strength is made perfect in our weakness." We really are frail and weak creatures, yet he give each of us his might. Furthermore, "when he ascended on high, he led a host of captives and gave gifts to people." He has gifted us. In the final analysis, whether we are walking in moments of strength or weakness, God is giving us all we need. Thanks, Celine.

      Delete